Monday, August 4, 2014

Summer Saga: The Drought

Summer. It can be hot, steamy and full of adventure. Mine on the other hand has been yes hot but lacking on the adventure. Not a smidge or inkling of love in sight! Well at least not yet. I'm not a hopeless romantic or anything but I do believe in the idea of it and the good that can happen. Here in the city of Philly there's an array of men and depending on your type you just might run into him, I think. 

In my travels this summer while headed to work or running errands I've come across what I call "fantasy suitors." You know the ones that you see and don't know but you imagine how you could be with them. I mean I'm talking the nicely built construction man on Market Street in Center City, or the FedEx guy delivering a package next door to my house, heck even the man with a slight twinkle in his eye driving next to me at the traffic light that just turned red. I envision or wonder, "Is he the one?" 

Can't blame me for dreaming. Though in those situations I don't quite have the opportunity or guts to approach anyone. I sometimes think if I am in an environment where guys are THEN I'll meet someone. However this summer I haven't quite placed myself in many atmospheres where I could land a date. And none of these girlfriends I have are thinking to set me up with anyone. Hmmph. Typically I don't go for the blind dates but honestly I wouldn't care at this point!

Last summer felt different. The two dates I went on were quite random and not expected, AT ALL. But it was good to try out something new.

I could also point out that there aren't any guy havens per se where you'll definitely meet someone. True if you're in a sports bar on a big game day or at a gym yes you'll see tons of men. But that doesn't mean you'll actually meet him unless you're game to approach or he approaches you. In all honesty maybe there isn't a right or wrong place to meet a potential partner. 

I mean my parents met on a hot September day through my moms nephew (who's close to her age), my dad was riding shotgun in his car when he spotted my mom. Slightly drunk my dad asked her what her name was and she lied, telling him it was Barbara. Her name is Effie. A memory my family laughs at today whenever the story is told. It reminds me now that not every love story begins how you might imagine it or how it is in the movies. Every love story I feel should begin with a thought, "Are you the one for me?" Of course it doesn't always go that way but for me I am hopeful.

Whether or not some people think that way or perhaps thought that way when they ended up with their love I don't know, these are just my thoughts. Because as the summer air can be still and routine, I do not enjoy that when it comes to love or at least finding it. 

This drought I am in has expired, no longer welcome. I need to discover how to plant the seeds without desperation. In need of a loving rain to wash away the fears and dead end fantasies when I want something real.

Straight up no chaser, except wanting to be chased and pursued by a great guy(s). I am a young woman, I am human. But I have to wonder, is "the drought" just a summery figment of my already jagged imagination? 

Or maybe just maybe, I need love?

-Lish, The BCB 

No comments:

Post a Comment