Monday, May 26, 2014

Love me "Tinder?"

Today I downloaded the app Tinder, a new-age way of meeting people which per the app description reads, "Helps in finding out who likes you nearby and connects you with them." While visiting a friend of mine in the Bronx last month she told me about the app and how she actually met her boyfriend through Tinder. I didn't immediately look into signing up or downloading, I put it on the back burner and continued on not thinking much about it. But then maybe two weeks ago I thought about the app and decided I'd give it try.

That try came today as I didn't have much going so I pressed the icon to download and within under a minute the app was ready to be opened. Upon loading the app it prompts me to login through Facebook which I didn't prefer to do but I also didn't see an option to use an email. No matter, I log-in and immediately I am tossed into a virtual frenzy of profiles of men. Come to think of it, I wasn't prompted to select any preferences either. It's like Tinder just assumed what I like. What if I preferred women, or men with tatoos only? The second one I wouldn't mind but I wasn't given an option to choose.

The arena of single men was slim pickings. I swiped pass signaling the "Nope" stamp to appear on the screen for the men I wasn't interested in. That probably happened for about 25 guys because NONE of them stood out to me. I mean there were guys as young as 18 being shown to me. I'm not interested in 18 year olds Tinder! I keep thinking, "Did I miss something?" because I don't recall seeing an icon to set my preferences.

The other thing I didn't like about the app was my profile picture. Since I logged on through Facebook it instantly put up my current Facebook picture and the last two that I've had. I tried to add my own choice for a min pic but no dice. 

Midway through my "not gonna happen...ever" swipes past these rather I'll say interesting men I did come across ONE potential suitor. I believe he was 30 years old, his bio was witty and not some wack pick-up line. A plus was that he's a writer like me. I pressed that heart shaped icon to "connect" with him. I chose not to message him directly partly because it was late last night and I was already dozing. I didn't want to make a mistake and say something crazy or with a message that looked like:

"Hey, how are you I'm Elishiaaaaaaaa zzzzz wtf ggkkooflp."

Trust me I've done it before in texting, dozed off with my finger still pressing the last 'l' of "lol."

Well, I guess I'll have to do what I can to try out the Tinder app. Who knows something good could come from it. I certainly am not new to online dating. Or in this case on my phone. 

*Sighs* Dating.

Lish, The BCB
 

No comments:

Post a Comment