Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Dating in the City

Here-I-go. I've told myself time after time, "Get out there, put yourself on the market." Trouble is, I'm not sure how and how I should present myself in order to be noticed and not shelved like usual. Dating isn't the hardest thing to do but it isn't the easiest. 

Operation "Find Me A Man" has been in effect for awhile now. Somebody's always asking but nobody's really offering. Friends don't hook me up and I've run out of long lost loves to locate. Nowadays young people in my generation are getting married and settling down with babies upon babies. But I'm not there yet. Not because I'm an odd ball that men shy away from, but because I've had a hard time learning to be the seeker. Some say "don't look or wait on him" because it won't happen. Confusing. Well guess what I'm looking but I'm not a damsel that's distressed and desperate. I'm just ready.

But yesterday a strange tide turned. A guy I began a mild flirtation with back in March via Match.com has reappeared, texting me out of the blue. I hadn't expected that. I'd just about forgotten him. A British-African man living in Brooklyn whom I'll call "Sir London Bridge" has re-discovered me and seems to have an interest in getting to know me. He explained his month long absence as a busy work schedule and traveling to London to see his family. His job requires a lot of travel so it seems he's often on the road somewhere. 

I'll admit he did send me a text back in April and I purposely ignored it. So him vanishing for a month probably had a little to do with my lack of interest at the time. I was just really in a weird place when we began chatting, Daddy issues, still not trusting men, I didn't know how to react to his continued pursuit toward me.

And today, as I yearn to be filled up with love, meeting someone new and seeing where it goes, I have to wonder. What's the harm in trying?

-Lish the BCB

No comments:

Post a Comment